Over the past few days i had a few people asking what happened my RSS feed (thanks to sean of leateds.com of first pointing it out to me!). After much head scratching i discovered it was my disqus plugin acting up.
In fairness to the guys at disqus they picked up my twittering and tried to help but for now, i believe i’ve solved it myself. The cause of the problem is unknown (to me anyway). It suddenly broke a few days ago… but i’ve had the plugin running for months.
I hadn’t upgraded wordpress or any RSS plugins nor had i upgraded any disqus plugin / code so i’m only guessing but i suspect it’s some sort of conflict with another plugin. It appears i wasn’t the only one having the same problem so if you run in to this problem yourself, try my solution.
I removed a closing </script> tag in the disqus plugin code (disqus-comment-system/disqus.php) and that did the trick. Feed validator was telling me that was the problem and although the code looked ok to me, i removed that closing script tag and it validated perfectly….
Little things like this really frustrate you. I didn’t want to remove the disqus plugin but at the same time i didn’t want to leave my RSS feed broken for too long… So fingers crossed all is fixed now and if you notice any more problems with this blog let me know!